Sunday, January 29, 2012

Day 1

Remember how I said in my first post that this blog wouldn't be about perfection? Yeah, well, about that...

I went to PF Chang's with my man last night. It's my favorite casual dining spot and the most comfortable place to eat gluten free. We were celebrating Valentine's Day early since he'll be travelling in Asia next month. It was a nice relaxing meal. I had egg drop soup, chicken lettuce wraps and their awesome spicy chicken with brown rice. It wasn't exactly the perfect ACD meal, but it was my proverbial last meal before rededicating myself in the morning. A little splurge wouldn't hurt. It's not like I was going to have straight sugar or chocolate.

But, then the server mentioned dessert came with our meal selections. I could have said no. I could have had him wrap something up to take home for the girls. I could've run from the building immediately. Instead, I sheepishly muttered, 'flourless chocolate dome, please.'

Do you remember Eddie Murphy's stand up regarding saltine crackers? Let me paraphrase: After going so long without certain pleasures, your reaction to the joy of the moment is akin to mistaking a plain old saltine for a Ritz. Now, imagine actually getting Ritz after going without said crackers. There was a moment last night when I swear I could have lifted that plate and licked it clean. It was complete and utter joy beyond words.

Then I woke up this morning.

To say my disposition was less than sunny is an understatement. As I prepared my first protein shake for the day (and month), my man sat at the table innocently eating his breakfast. Each chomp and chew was like fingernails on a chalkboard. My angelic youngest child, full of energy and morning glow, was annoying the crap out of me. Even the dog seemed to be bent on ticking me off. Thankfully the eldest child slept. She was therefore spared my barely suppressed snarl.

I turned on the radio to drown out the chomper. Turned on cartoons in the next room for  the kid and threw a ball down the basement stairs for the dog to clear the area and subdue the throbbing anxiety. It all worked except the radio thump was driving me mad as well. With my man done with his morning meal, with as much restraint as I could muster, I told him to clear out. I wish I could say I politely asked for some quiet or solitude, but, no. Those were my actual words. 'Clear out.'

I didn't even say 'please.'

See the shot to the left? That's the mainstay of my diet for the next month or so. The Arbonne package coloring was a bit unfortunate this morning. All those bright, sunny colors seemed to mock my mood.

To add insult to injury, I had failed to notice I didn't have any coconut milk on hand for my inaugural shake. I ended up improvising. I did 2 scoops of vanilla protein, 1 cup of spring water, 1 Tbsp of carob powder, 2 Tbsp of almond butter, a few slivered almonds and some ice.

I didn't expect much. I've never liked protein shakes with water. Fortunately, it was surprisingly good. I had no trouble downing it. It hit the spot. It also brought my blood sugar level back up. Within a half hour, I was snuggling with the kids and smiling at my man.

Here's the rest of the day's consumption:

  • Arbonne Citrus Fizz Tab drink
  • Steak and Shake Grilled Guacamole Chicken Breast with fries (no bun, no sauce, no cheese) and water. I dipped the fries in the guac instead of ketchup. Yum!
  • bowl of spinach wilted in garlic and butter
  • brown rice pasta with organic marinara sauce
  • Arbonne Vanilla Protein Shake for dinner
  • Arbonne Detox Tea
I also made some anti-candida diet friendly fudge with the vanilla protein powder. It's my own creation. A morphing of an Almond Joy Ball recipe from my Arbonne rep (Thanks Kristina!) and a recipe for Carob Fudge from Diets, Desserts and Dogs. It's sitting in the fridge now waiting for a taste test. If it's good, I'll share the recipe tomorrow.

Lesson for the day: The sugar load last night was totally worth it from my perspective. (Did I mention the dome of chocolate was surrounded by berries swimming in a chocolate sauce?) I'm pretty sure my family would disagree. Next time, I'll just have a decaf coffee and wait to have something safely sweet at home. Or make sure I can get a protein shake down before I come in contact with other humans...or canines, for that matter.

Take care -Melie



Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

 

PracticallyHealthy.net | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012